International hospital management
UME is a truly international hospital management company. UME has managed hospitals in the Middle East since 1976, all of which provided the full range of acute secondary specialties and some tertiary care services. The hospitals, located in Saudi Arabia, were the military hospitals in Riyadh, Tabuk, Khamis Mushayt, and Jeddah. United Medical was the owner of the management contractor for Al Comiche Hospital, a specialist maternity hospital in Abu Dhabi until ownership passed to another part of the group in November 1987.
UK hospital management
Within the UK, UME has an equally long track record of private sector management and of collaborative schemes set up with Health Authorities and Hospital Trusts are innovative, commercially based and profitable. The projects listed below are separate from the investment in and management of PFI hospitals, which now
forms a major part of the activities of the UME group in UK.
- Guy’s Nuffield House, Guys & St. Thomas’ Hospitals NHS Trust, London – In 1990. United Medical funded the construction of a 42 bed Private Patients Unit, and managed the unit on behalf of the Trust for a period of eight years. The unit provided a full range of clinical services, and included two theatre suites, out patient, day case and consulting facilities.
- Royal Bournemouth and Christchurch Hospitals NHS Trust, Bournemouth – a 30 bed Private Patients Unit with 2 theatre suites and a full range of clinical services. It was opened in August 1996 and was managed by United Medical on behalf of the Derwent Hospital (Bournemouth) Ltd, a joint venture Company formed in partnership with 3| and Tarmac Health Estates. The hospital was sold in 2000.
- Royal Eye Hospital, Manchester, UK development and construction of day cataract unit for the Central Manchester Health Authority.
- Kings College Hospital, Camberwell Authority - Management contract for start up of private wing.
- St Mary’s Hospital. Parkside Health Authority - Management contract for start up of private patient wing.
- Beechwood Clinic / Beechwood Ancillary Services Clinic, Sheffield.
- Central Manchester Health Authority Central Sterile Supply Services Review - Investigation of current operational arrangements and recommendations on data systems to improve efficiency, establish controls and to provide financial savings.
- St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, London Clerical Support Services Survey and Evaluation of the manual and computerized information systems and staff performance review of the Radiological Department.
- Glen Hospital, Bristol - Management contract.
- London independent Hospital - Management contract.
- Elland Hospital, Halitax - Management contract.
- Walderslade Hospital, Kent – Management contract.
- Manchester Royal Infirmary, Central Manchester Health Authority - management contract for private unit.
- Bath Clinic - Management contract.